From:
Chris McAnlis <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Chris McAnlis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 21 Apr 2009 06:25:49 -0400
This morning I heard the distinctive song from the Wood Thrush! Despite
the week's snowy forecast, spring is here! What a beautiful noise in the
woods this morning.

Sunday, while planting tree seedlings in the ravine, I heard a Louisiana
Waterthrush teasing me by singing and moving down the stream. I finally
was able to spot him in a beech tree, but with the gray day and no
binoculars, I could barely make out the streaked chest. Listening to a
recording of a Louisisana Waterthrush's song confirmed my identification.

Many others included:
2 Pileated Woodpeckers playing tag
Eastern Phoebe
Tufted Titmouse
Black Capped Chickadee
White breasted nuthatch
Robin
Downey Woodpecker
Hairy Woodpecker
Eastern Bluebird
European Starlings
Goldfinches
Pine Siskins (3 still at the feeder)
Blue Jay
Cardinal
House Sparrow (trying to get into one of the bluebird boxes)
Great Blue Heron flying overhead
Canada Geese flying overhead
Turkey Vultures soaring overhead

Wildflowers in bloom included:
Dog Tooth Violet (Trout Lily)
Squirrel Corn
Bloodroot
Spring Beauty
Cut-leaved toothwort
Broad-leaved toothwort
Some early trillium (most not blooming yet but in the bottomlands, the one
patch on the north side of the ravien was in full bloom!)

Also spotted a spring azure butterfly!

Great weekend to be outdoors.

Chris McAnlis