From:
Julie Shieldcastle <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 21 Apr 2009 16:20:33 -0400
Hi!

Broadwings are finally on the move in NW Ohio! The Black Swamp Bird
Observatory's spring hawk watch at the Magee Marsh Observation Tower had its
first Broad-winged Hawks (BWHA) counted today. Lee Garling had at the 1000
hour over 100 BWHA which does not seem like many to most but it has been
several years since the count has had any good numbers recorded. We believe
they just are too high to see and count when the peak numbers come through
on warm sunny clear days. Today was a cold SW wind with mostly cloudy skies,
intermittent rain, few hail storms, and a couple glimpses of the sun. The
Sharp-shinned Hawks also gave us a good count of 43. Total birds for 6 hours
(0900- 1500) were 325 from the tower. I am hoping one or two of our other
count sites were surveyed in the Lake Erie Marsh region today. You can check
out the present numbers for the spring hawk survey at www.bsbobird.org
<http://www.bsbobird.org/> .

Highlights for the day were another Golden Eagle, Peregrine Falcon, and of
course the Broad-wings.

Enjoy the season!

Julie Shieldcastle

Black Swamp Bird Observatory