From:
Chris Knoll <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Chris Knoll <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 24 Apr 2009 11:56:38 -0400
THE WARBLERS ARE HERE BIRDERS.  Ok, here is an early rundown on what has
been seen to 10:30 AM this morning. I'll start with the warblers.

1.      Boardwalk warblers: Nashville - several males, Yellow - 4 males,
Cape May - 1 nice male, Yellow-rumped - everywhere, Black-throated Green -
many males, Pine - 2 males, Palm - many, Black & White - 4 males, one
Worm-eating which we had a close-up view and it was a life bird for Bob
Kingsbury of Michigan, and one Ovenbird.
2.      Boardwalk vireos: White-eyed - at least 3, Blue-headed - 3, Warbling
- 1, and two Red-eyed Vireos.
3.      Boardwalk sparrows: Eastern Towhee - males and females, Chipping,
Field, Song, Lincoln's - 1 bird at the bridge, Swamp, White-throated -
everywhere, and White-crowned Sparrows - several.
4.      Boardwalk thrushes: Veery - 1, Gray-cheeked - several birds,
Swainson's -1, Hermit - several birds, and American Robin.
5.      Boardwalk flycatchers: Eastern Wood Pewee, and Least Flycatcher.
6.      Boardwalk others: Scarlet Tanager - 2 males, Indigo Bunting - 1
male, Great-horned Owl on nest, Common Terns - several flying overhead,
Winter and House Wrens, Brown Creeper - 1, several Blue-gray Gnatcatchers,
and Purple Finches - 4 males and 3 females.
7.      The observation tower near the bird center has had a few hawks
already today. John Sawvel has seen Broad-winged, Cooper's, and
Sharp-shinned Hawks, an Osprey, Turkey Vultures, and two Sandhill Cranes.
Also from the tower he had Tree and Barn Swallows, and Purple Martins along
with Palm Warblers and Blue-gray Gnatcatchers.

Other notes:

1. Bob Kingsbury stayed at Maumee Bay State Park overnight and heard a
Whip-poor-will singing this morning near his campsite. What a way to wake-up
in the morning.

2. A Black-necked Stilt was seen yesterday afternoon on Benton Carroll Road
on the Ottawa National Wildlife property.

3. The male Ruff (black) was seen also yesterday morning near Stange and
Krause Road.

4. Also at Maumee Bay State Park yesterday, Lee Garling had a Golden Eagle
migrate through.

5. Yesterday, Dan and Barb Myers and I had 8 Common Loons and one
Red-throated Loon at the Findlay Reservoir. All the Common Loons were in
breeding plumage while the Red-throated Loon was not, but it was a life bird
for Dan and Barb. I went with them and we also saw the Golden-crowned
Sparrow and it was a life bird for the three of us. It was a male in
breeding plumage. The black head stood-out even at a fair distance at the
edge of the property. It was really exciting for me to see several young
birders there watching this first time bird to Ohio. Our youth is the future
of the world.

Later birding fans,

Chris Knoll

Education Director