From:
Steve Cagan <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Steve Cagan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 24 Apr 2009 18:34:22 -0400
Hi Everyone,

Not too much time for birding lately, but Beth and I did manage a visit to
Shaker Lakes (on the border between Cleveland Heights and Shaker Heights)
this afternoon.  The Trout Lilies are in bloom, very beautiful...There
werenąt a lot of birds, but some nice ones. In addition to the expected many
American Robins, Northern Cardinals, American Goldfinch and so on, we had:

Herring Gull
Bufflehead
Ruddy Duck
Red-breasted Merganser
Mallard
Wood Duck
Great Blue Heron
Green Heron !
Tree Swallow
Northern Rough-wing Swallow
White-throated sparrow (including lots of singing)
Chipping Sparrow (ditto)
Song Sparrow (ditto)
Northern Flicker
Red-bellied Woodpecker
Downy Woodpecker
Turkey Vulture
Ruby-crowned Kinglet
Yellow-Rumped Warbler (lots!)
Palm Warbler (1)
And I think best of all:

Northern Waterthrush (definitely Northern, not Louisiana that had
overshot...) !!
This is a bird we see rarely at Shaker Lakes‹a few years ago we had one
working the shore of the vernal spring just south of the Center. This one
was on an undercut bank of the stream, just north of the Center‹visible from
the boardwalk.

Best wishes,

Steve Cagan
Cleveland Heights
Cuyahoga County

Steve Cagan, photographer
www.stevecagan.com
216-932-2753 (USA)
Current and upcoming activities:
stevecagan.com/contents/currentactivities.html