Date:
Sat, 25 Apr 2009 01:16:02 GMT
May 24, 2009

I returned home from California Tuesday night. The "bluebird" trail has a little activity, with bluebirds in box #7, confirming the eggs I found there in early April. House sparrows evicted from Boxes 2 and 3 (two and one eggs respectively), female trapped in Box 2 on Thursday. Tree swallows moving in today.

During this morning's walk I heard my first-of-season yellow warbler, then later saw and heard FOS wood thrush and saw FOS brown thrasher. Actually Jane spotted the brown thrasher first. She said that although she didn't know what it was, she still wants the "points." I guess I will have to decide what that means.

A rock pigeon in the yard yesterday was a little alarming. This marks only the third time I have seen them here in nine years. House sparrows and starlings have discovered, colonized and pretty much overrun the barnyard. Let's not have pigeons. Fortunately this boldly-marked black and white individual flew off the property when I shooed it.

Bob Evans
Geologist, etc.
Hopewell Township, Muskingum County