From:
John Pogacnik <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
John Pogacnik <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 24 Apr 2009 21:38:15 -0400
Today was great with lots of migrants.  The morning started off with a
thunderstorm.  It finally cleared up around 9:00.  Birds started moving
early and there was a constant flow of birds all day.  The best bird of the
day was a CLAY-COLORED SPARROW that was feeding out in the backyard shortly
after the rain stopped.  It was not seen again

The most amazing thing today were the PINE WARBLERS.  I typically see one or
maybe two a year.  I cannot remember seeing more than one at a time in yard
except when they bred here.  Today I counted 19!!.  They were travelling in
small groups.  At one point in time I had 11 birds in a single tree.  The
groups slowly moved through the yard going from conifer to conifer heading
west.  It was a challenge following them to get photos.  Several times
through the day I'd look out and see one hopping around the yard.  I have
never seen a movement of pine warblers like that before.  I had a total of 9
species of warblers today including: blue-winged- 1, Nashville- 1, yellow-
1, yellow-rumped- 73, Cape May- 1, Palm- 8 (1 yellow and 7 western), pine
19, black and white 1, and Louisiana waterthrush- 1.

Other songbirds included all of the swallows.  I gave up trying to count
them there were so many.  Others were  WHIP-POOR-WILL, chimney swift,
blue-headed vireo, red-breasted nuthatch, rose-breasted grosbeak, chipping
sparrow (33), and field sparrow (9).  I still had single tree and fox
sparrows.

There was also a great hawk flight with over 1,000 broad-winged hawks, the
most I have seen here.  Hawk totals were:
Turkey vulture- 117, osprey- 2, bald eagle- 2, sharp-shinned hawk- 11,
Cooper's hawk- 1, red-tailed hawk- 3, red-shouldered hawk- 1, ROUGH-LEGGED
HAWK- 1, BROAD-WINGED HAWK- 1,146 , MERLIN- 3, PEREGRINE FALCON- 1, American
kestrel- 19.

I had a total of 96 species today, all from my yard.

John Pogacnik
4765 Lockwood Road
Perry, OH 44081
(440) 259-2751