From:
Lee Underschultz <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 24 Apr 2009 21:39:54 -0400
Lee Underschultz
Firefly Hollow
Little Hocking, OH

I finally got to spend time in the garden from 5:30 -7:30 PM Friday. First
to be heard and seen was a male Hooded Warbler. I spotted him while fixing
holes in the deer fence. Then down to the creek to sit and see what I could
find. Next was an American Redstart flitting around the brush by the creek.
About the same place I saw him last spring. Last spring he was in the middle
of a beautiful courtship dance with a female.

A Yellow-throated Warbler caught my eye high atop a tree between the house
and garden. Next came a Blue-winged Warbler. What a beautiful brilliant
yellow with his intense black slit of a mask. He sat and serenaded me from a
nearby Sycamore tree.

Then to my pleasant surprise I heard the song of a Cerulean Warbler. I
looked for it but couldn't find it. Then I turned around and there behind me
he was sitting singing his heart out. I watched as he crossed the garden and
landed in a tree where I could see him without the sun in my face. Glad to
see him back.

I turned back around and scanned the woods for more birds. High in the top
of some distant trees I saw a small flock of birds. I also noticed the wild
grapes entwined around the branches. Bringing my binocs up my suspicions
were confirmed, about 15 Cedar Waxwings were there.

Back to the willows by the creek and I saw my first Ruby Throated
Hummingbird of the year. Of course all the regulars were there too (Northern
Cardinals, Eastern Towhees, Tufted Titmice, Chickadees, Goldfinches, etc.)
The Pine Siskins are still here. The Blue-gray Gnatcatchers kept trying
their best to take center stage with their constant motion and chatter. I
ended my garden time with the Hooded Warbler singing and dancing along the
trees on the hillside. As I was walking back to the house I heard a couple
of Wood Thrush in the woods. Not bad for a couple of hours in the garden. I
just wonder what wonderful birds I missed the rest of the day.

Hopefully I can get some time out on the trails this weekend. The Segways
are charging up as I type. If you're in the area and want to see what's in
the hollow let me know.

Lee Underschultz
Firefly Hollow
Little Hocking, OH