From:
Chris Knoll <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Chris Knoll <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 25 Apr 2009 10:04:00 -0400
Here is an early list of what birders are seeing people for Saturday!
Warm and lots of wind today, but still a lot of really beautiful birds seen
by many birders.

OK, the warblers first.
1. Yellow-breasted Chat - lower end of boardwalk seen by Bob of Michigan.
2. Hooded Warbler - male and female seen by many people.
3. Wilson's Warbler - unreal people!!!
4. American Redstart - male and female!!! Again early like last year!!!
5. Golden-winged Warbler - at Benton Carroll Road property!! WOW!!!
6. Blue-winged Warbler - found by Lee Garling and later by Dana Bollin
7. Myrtle warbler - everywhere + now females in small numbers.
8. Palm Warbler - + one Yellow Palm Warbler (that's 2 days in a row)
9. Yellow Warbler - males and females seen today.
10. Northern Waterthrush - several now plus they are singing too.
11. Pine Warbler - still a few + singing!! Nice
12. Ovenbird - several as yesterday
13. Black & White Warbler - there were more yesterday.
14. Black-throated Green Warblers - in good numbers + singing like
yesterday!! Nice

Thrushes seen today; WOW a clean sweep birding fans!!

1. American Robins - nice males singing today.
2. Eastern Bluebird - nice find Dana Bollin!!!
3. Swainson's Thrush - nice looks from the road edge of the boardwalk
4. Veery
5. Gray-cheeked Thrush
6. Hermit Thrush - everywhere; just love those rusty tails!!
7. Wood Thrush - seen by Delores Cole and I.

Other nice species seen in the early am.

1. Summer Tanager - nice male; great find Rick!! My first one in 3 years.
2. Scarlet Tanager - still the 2nd year male with some olive-green in him.
3. Great-Crested Flycatcher - nice find Rick!! My first of the year!
4. Winter and House Wrens - nice comparisons of the two yesterday.
5. Blue-gray Gnatcatchers - everywhere and so cute!
6. Ruby-crowned Kinglets - everywhere and singing - males and females now.
7. Golden-crowned Kinglet - still one seen yesterday! Not sure about today;
see Rick's list later.
8. Swamp, Chipping, Field, White-throated and White-crowned Sparrows.
9. GREEN HERON - nice looks yesterday of two. Today only one seen in the
marsh.
10. Snowy Egret - still around the causeway!!

Later Birding fans,

Chris Knoll
Education Director
The Black Swamp Bird Observatory