From:
Craig Holt <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sat, 4 Apr 2009 15:43:32 -0700
After reading Bob Lane's report from yesterday, I went over to the lake he mentioned in Beaver Twp. today.  The w-w scoters and most other ducks were gone.  This has been a surprisingly good spot for waterfowl the last few years in late winter/early spring.  It is easily accessed from the parking lot of the banquet center off of Western Reserve Rd., like Bob mentioned.  Since this is not exactly a public parking area, I've been hesitant to mention the place specifically before.  Nobody has ever seemed to mind the occasional birder there as far as I know.  Birding at Evans L. and Pine L. (also in Mahoning Co.) is similar, some of the best vantage points are in spots which are either tricky to reach, difficult to park at, or otherwise not well-suited for more than a car or two.  And traffic along many roads (even smaller ones) can be fast and furious.  Kind of like the situation at Benton-Carrol Rd. by ONWR now, or the Cedar Point Chaussee.
 Anyways, here's what I did see in Mahoning Co. today: a pine siskin in my Poland Twp. yard; Wilson's snipe and a singing n. mockingbird in Coitsville Twp.; 15+ Wilson's snipe at a tiny but productive wetland right along Calla Rd. in western Beaver Twp. (where the W. phalaropes were last spring); ring-necked ducks, Cooper's hawk, red-shouldered hawk, and Am. kestrel in the NW part of the county on the way to L. Milton; L. Milton had little of interest other than 25 lesser scaup, bufflehead, and 2 d-c cormorants.  Later, Craig