From:
Lisa Brohl <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Lisa Brohl <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 27 Apr 2009 07:09:00 -0400
Yesterday (Sunday April 26), Elizabeth Heineman called to report her first
Baltimore oriole of the season. She also reported that she had seen an
American Bittern in Terwilliger's Pond (near the OSU Stone Lab) on South
Bass Island. She got some good pictures. We headed down to the Pond for some
birdwatching and saw the following.
American Bittern
Green Heron
Great Blue Heron
American Egret
Black-crowned Night Heron
Wood Duck
Belted Kingfisher
Mallard
Canada Goose
Red-Headed Woodpecker
Downy Woodpecker
Northern Flicker
Swainson's Thrush
Blue-gray Gnatcatcher
Blue-Winged Warbler
White-Throated Sparrow
Swamp Sparrow
And of course everywhere Red-wing Blackbirds and Common Grackles
At the South Bass Lighthouse, there were blue-gray gnatcatchers everywhere!
 There were about ten in one tree alone. There were about twenty Chipping
Sparrows on the lawn and an Eastern Bluebird in the trees.
White-Crowned Sparrow and a Gray Catbird showed up at my home on Sunday as well.
I also saw a Green Darner dragonfly, Red Admiral Butterfly, and had seen a
Mourning Cloak earlier this week.
Lisa Brohl