From:
Aaron Boone <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Aaron Boone <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 27 Apr 2009 10:28:33 -0400
Just wanted to send out another quick reminder.Pine Siskins are actively
nesting in several northern Ohio counties right now.  This is not terribly
unexpected considering the massive number of birds that wintered in the
state, but nesting records may be more widespread than expected...including
in counties much farther south.

If you have siskins coming to feeders right now, watch for any behavior
indicative of courtship (pair feeding each other, strange singing displays
dubbed the "butterfly flight" display, birds carrying nesting material,
etc.).  If you observe anything along these lines, slide an email my way or
give me a call.  It would be great to harvest all of these observations for
the Ohio Breeding Bird Atlas II.  Even better, enter your observation online
at:

http://bird.atlasing.org/Atlas/OH/Main?home=1

For more on the breeding status of Pine Siskins in Ohio, reference the
species account from the first Ohio Breeding Bird Atlas (Peterjohn & Rice).

http://www.ohiobirds.org/obba2/pdfs/species/PineSiskin.pdf

White-winged Crossbills are still being seen and observations of male-female
pairs are especially intriguing.  A report to OhioBirds a few weeks ago
included an observation of a female collecting "vegetation" on the ground
while a male was following her around.  The BNA account indicates that males
follow females around during nest building.  Not sure what became of this
Ohio observation but be on the lookout for singing males, male-female pairs
coming to feeders, or other behaviors that appear to be courtship related.
It would be fantastic to add White-winged Crossbill to the list of Ohio
nesting species during the OBBA2 survey period.

Good birding!

Aaron Boone
Project Coordinator
Ohio Breeding Bird Atlas II