From:
"Lehman, Jay" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Lehman, Jay
Date:
Mon, 27 Apr 2009 19:47:11 -0400
I stayed in the Toledo area Saturday night.  Saturday was such a good
birding day in Ohio that I wanted to try for another one.  I started at
Maumee bay SP, where I added a Yellow Warbler singing on the way into
the park 5 Spotted Sandpipers on the beach along the lake and rocks, 8
American Pipits migrating west along lake, all new for the year, and 10
Caspian Terns on the beach along the interior pond.  At Mallard Marsh, I
added 2 Eastern Kingbirds, 5 Common Yellowthroats, new for the year, as
well as 3 Soras calling, another Caspian Tern, and a good assortment of
waterfowl and at least six more American Pipits flying over.  At Veler
Road, two different flocks of American Golden Plover totaling about 90
flew in landed and then departed, and a Baltimore Oriole started singing
along the exit road from the NWR, heard from outside of the gate.
Metzger by the lake was very productive again.  I added 2 House Wrens, 2
Warbling Vireos, 2 Northern Waterthrushes, one Gray Catbird, one Wood
Thrush, a singing Northern Parula, and 2 Chimney Swifts.  There was a
similar assortment of warblers as on Saturday in the woods by the lake.
Along the road to the end at the lake, there were two Common Moorhens.
I searched for the American Bittern reported near the marina by Dave
Russell's ornithology class from Miami University but did not find the
bittern.  At Magee on the boardwalk, I added Kentucky Warbler, Hooded
Warbler, and male and female Summer Tanager, two different Veeries, and
a Great Crested Flycatcher.  I also had Wood Thrush, and Swainson's
Thrush as well as Hermit Thrush, Gray Catbird, Blue-headed Vireo,
Orange-crowned Warbler, Black-throated Green Warbler, Nashville Warbler
and Pine Warbler at Magee. The warblers, thrushes and tanagers had a
more southern Ohio flavor for this early in April -- Kentucky and
Hooded, Veery and Swainson's and Summer Tanager.

I headed south from Ottawa to the Bellview area and found the EARED
GREBE at the sky pond along CR 205/Bonham Road.

It was an amazing Saturday and Sunday of birding in Ohio.

Jay

Jay G. Lehman

Cincinnati, OH