From:
Hildegard Bingen <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 28 Apr 2009 07:18:01 -0700
About 4 pm yesterday, we witnessed some bird behavior in our backyard that we’ve never seen before and would love to understand better.

Some background: we have three nest boxes of varying sizes—one bluebird sized, the others smaller-- in our fairly small backyard.  A chickadee pair has been occupying one of the small ones for 2-3 weeks.  Yesterday a house wren arrived and began an apparent campaign to clear the yard of other nesters.  Earlier today, we witnessed the wren removing eggs from the chickadee box.

At least four cowbirds have also been perching around the yard the last few days.

The drama began with the wren singing from the top of another of the nest boxes.  Suddenly birds were arriving from all over the yard: at least 2 chickadees, 2 titmice, 2 blue-gray gnatcatchers (arrived yesterday), 4 goldfinches, 3 cardinals, 2 chipping sparrows, a song sparrow.  These were approaching the wren repeatedly, vocalizing, tail fluttering, and crest raising.  The smaller birds, especially the chickadees and gnatcatchers, were hovering and fluttering near the wren.  The wren just kept on singing and dancing around on top of the box.  Other birds flew in but didn’t seem as involved: nuthatch, downy woodpecker, red-bellied, and flicker.  Then we noticed a cowbird on a nearby branch.  Eventually the cowbird left or was run off.  The wren also retreated further back in the yard. Things quieted down rather quickly after that.

We don’t know if the vigilante action was an attempt to mob the wren and run him off, or whether the aggression was for the cowbird.  The wren seemed more the center of the action than the cowbird.

This morning the chickadee was back in its box with its head peeking out.  The wren was singing from the other box.

Any thoughts?

Pat