Date:
Tue, 28 Apr 2009 20:33:04 GMT
April 28, 2009

The lifer was a prairie warbler. For those of you who have ever spent time in the field with me, I may have mentioned this glaring and obvious gap in my life list. I began actually listing birds 15 years ago when I turned 40. Listing is not my main interest, so I don't usually chase birds. (Usually. I will admit to a few exceptions.) I never deemed it necessary to chase this fairly common species, figuring that at some point it would cross my path. I have been in the field a few times when someone pointed out the song, followed by a short unsuccessful vigil. My own personal rules for my list are that it takes a sighting for a lifer, although if the song is distinctive the species can be counted subsequently by voice alone. Like I said, they're my rules for my list.

Anyway, yesterday Jane and I decided to take Gerta and Brutus (horses) for a trail ride around our fields. This was late morning. When we were riding around the "Back-Forty" (six acres of successional fields) I heard the song, which I have been brushing up on recently, hoping to fill in this aforementioned gap. I exclaimed, "That sounds like a prairie warbler!" My long-suffering spouse inquired, "Does that mean you have to get off to look for it?" "No, but it does mean I have to come back on foot." I replied.

After dinner (which most of you call lunch) I ventured back to the spot, listening for the thin, rising see-see-see-see-see-see. After about twenty minutes I found the bird, and spent the following twenty-five minutes or so watching it forage around the edge and down into one of our ravines. I had several looks through 8x binoculars from less than twenty feet. It was absolutely one of the most fulfilling and satisfying life-bird experiences of this life, perhaps even more so because it was home-grown. We keep the right habitat.

I realize this is of no particular note in the grand scheme of things. It is a fairly common bird, particularly today since I heard four more of them singing around the property on this morning's walk. It seems like they are everywhere now. I can only say that it was a truly grand personal moment, and that the joys and rewards of rural land ownership and stewardship are many. I recommend it for anyone who has the inclination, the good fortune, or the folly.

Other migrants and recent arrivals (in the last week):

white-crowned and white-throated sparrows
scarlet tanager
Baltimore oriole
blue-gray gnatcatcher
wood thrush
warblers: yellow, common yellowthroat, blue-winged, hooded, prairie, ovenbird, yellow-rumped, Louisiana waterthrush (present since late March)

Life is good.

Bob Evans
Geologist, etc.
Hopewell Township, Muskingum County