From:
Bob Powell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bob Powell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 28 Apr 2009 17:06:03 -0400
Larry Gara and I spent about two hours at Cowan Lake State Park this morning
before it started raining.  The flow of migrants continues unabated.
 Notable sightings:
All of the following were seen at Lotus Cove.  The water is high and there
is very little exposed mud, but we still had a few waterfowl and shorebirds:
Canada Geese with three goslings
Blue-winged Teal still present but less numerous today
Lesser Yellowlegs- 4
Solitary Sandpiper
Spotted Sandpiper- 2
Killdeer

Most of the following migrants and returning residents were seen along the
trail to Lotus Cove, which is about as dry as it gets.
Red-headed Woodpecker on ashes at the beach
Great Crested Flycatcher
Eastern Kingbird
White-eyed Vireo
Red-eyed Vireo
Yellow-throated Vireo
Wood 'Thrush
Gray Catbird
House Wren
Tree Swallow
Northern Rough-winged Swallow (one visiting nest hole at spillway)
Barn Swallow
Northern Parula
Yellow-rumped Warbler
Palm Warbler
American Redstart
Baltimore Oriole (pair feeding on buds on ashes at beach)

We had 51 species, a pretty entertaining collection for a gray day with
impending rain.  We saw Ed Roush on the trail and he had a few more warblers
than we.  An interesting miss today was Prothonotary Warbler, which has been
noted on the  Lotus Cove trail for about the last week. An annotated,
interactive map of the area can be found at my blog, the URL of which is in
my sig below.

Cheers,

Bob

--