From:
"McCormac, Jim" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
McCormac, Jim
Date:
Tue, 7 Apr 2009 11:20:49 -0400
Hi all,

Copied below is a post from Tom Kemp, from the Toledo-area rare bird
website just minutes ago. This is only the second record of Mountain
Bluebird in Ohio, and it sounds as if this major rarity is quite
findable. Get it while you can - the last record was in the winter of
1989/90, so we might have to wait a while for another!

Jim McCormac

"Several of us watched the Mountain bluebird this morning, April 7, from
9:15 to 10:15. It was in exactly the same place as Pat's post described,
the junction of Wilkins Rd. and Rtes. 295/20A at the west end of the
airport. It spent time on the roadside and perched on the airport fence
and signs. In fact, it was alarmingly close to the cars and trucks
speeding by. It did fly out a few hundred yards into the big field to
the west at one time, but was soon back on the roadside.

The bird appears to be a young male, with considerable blue on the head,
back, and wings; the undersides are gray suffused with light blue. That
being said, I know nothing about plumage variation or molt in this
species, so I will be happy to be corrected.  Mark Plessner and others
were there taking pictures so they will be posted shortly I think.

This is the first record for the Toledo area and only the second for the
state.

Tom Kemp"

Jim McCormac

Ohio Division of Wildlife