From:
Greg Links <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Greg Links <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 8 Apr 2009 08:39:24 -0700
Not shooting the messenger here, but this is a sore subject for me and other local birders.  It is true that the Port Authority routinely confronts birders who are LEGALLY parked on the shoulder of a public road, wandering down said road.  They are not doing the birding community any favors by "allowing" people to park along the shoulder of a public road .  Obviously, no trespassing into the big field or on other Port Authority property.  And if you do, you can expect to be accosted fairly quickly.

The Port Authority has always had a hard time differentiating bird watchers from terrorists.  Yet, they have no problem issuing special hunting permits for people with GUNS to enter their land.  All the power to the hunters - I don't begrudge them a bit - but as is typical up here, it's all about who you know.

Anyway, I just wanted to point out that the Port Authority should not be recognized as our ally for "allowing" birders access to a public road.  The truth is, they loathe bird watchers.

Greg Links
Somewhere Near Toledo
www.toledobirding.blogspot.com

Birders-

FYI

I?spoke with two people at the Port Authority today regarding the Mountain
Bluebird spot along Wilkins & 295.? As of now, birders do have permission to
park along Wilkins just south of the 295 curve on the west side of the road, as
long as they are off the road.? However, the?officer made it clear that
they?will not tolerate people walking on the property, parking on 295, or
stopping and blocking traffic.? ?As long as everyone cooperates, there should
be no problem. ?I explained to the officers the significance of the Mountain
Bluebird sighting and they were very nice.

Birders?usually get chased out of this area by the Port Authority,?so?they are
making this rare sighting?an exception.? I told them I would relay the message
about the parking to the birding community.

I?posted a?short video on Rarebird.org of the Mountain Bluebird and there are
some great photos taken by others.?What a gorgeous bird!

?

Good Birding!

Sherrie Duris