Date:
Wed, 8 Apr 2009 22:11:06 -0400
Good times today with Bill Whan, Glen Crippen and Heather Raymond as we all set off from central ohio for some rarity chasin'. I was nervous, I'd waited a good 2 days since the first report of the Mountain Bluebird, generally bad form when twitching. There were some better chasers there when we arrived around 8:30. The birding gods smiled upon my lateness though and We had easy and super looks at the Mtn. Bluebird at its fav. spot at the west end of the Airport. We then hit the feeders at the nature center and then headed south to Findlay Res., then upper Sandusky Reservoir, and lasly Killdeer Plains W.A., Highlights reel follows:
Oak Openings area:
Mountain Bluebird
Vesper Sparrow
Pine Siskin
Purple finch
Wilson's Snipe
Greater Yellowlegs
Findlay Reservoirs:
Surf Scoter - 2 a male female pair in breeding plumes
Common Loon - 4 Breeding Plumaged birds
Greater Scaup
Lesser Scaup
N. Pintail
N. Shoveler
Herring Gulls
Upper Sandusky Waters:
Horned Grebe - about 10 all in near perfect breeding color
Pied-billed Grebes
Ruddy Ducks
Buffleheads
KPWA:
Eurasian Wigeon - 1 drake on Roe? Marsh (not pond three but the big one to the east of it)
American Wigeon
Green-winged Teal
Blue-winged Teal
Canvasback - 2 on Pond 23
Tundra Swan - 10+ pond 23 (in addition to trumpeters, and mute back on roe marsh)
Roughlegged Hawk - 1
Bald Eagle - 2
RT Hawks
Am. Kestrel
Northern Harriers
E. Fox Sparrow - 2 , always nice to see
etc.

????? Not a complete list, but it is a list of birds that struck my fancy for one reason or another. All in all a good day. I stopped by Highbanks MP feeders after all that and had Chipping, Field, and American Tree Sparrows which was fun. I tried to point them out to the guy who was filling the feeders but it seems he sees all sparrows the same. Not interested. Oh well. Good Birding!
???? - Ben Warner