From:
Sue Baxter <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Sue Baxter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 9 Apr 2009 17:03:36 -0400
The Mountain Bluebird was in the same location today as has been reported previously, the west end of the Toledo Express Airport and east edge of Oak Openings Metro park (Wilkins and Sager roads), in Lucas County, OH.  We arrived at the area shortly after 12:30 p.m.  The sun was shining brightly with just a few puffs of clouds in the sky.  My husband got some really good pictures.  It first appeared on the fence of the airport perimeter.  It likes to jump down to the ground, forage a bit, and then fly back up to the barbed fence.
Then it flew to the area between the roads (between the airport and Oak Openings) where several small leafless trees provided a bit of shade.  It preened a while and then continued foraging.
Another birder told of having seen it earlier in the large field across from the airport.
It is a beautiful bird and worth the trip to see.  It seems fairly passive but care should still be taken to not molest it so everyone can get a chance to view it.
Remember to park south of the 295 curve.  There are several graveled areas for convenient pull offs.
A Port Authority officer was making his rounds and seemed excited to know more about the bird from the information we offered.

Thanks, to the person who originally posted this bird.

Mike and Sue Baxter
Findlay, OH