From:
Verna Ansel <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Verna Ansel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 9 Apr 2009 18:15:37 -0700
I happened to notice an email regarding not seeing Kinglets yet and thought I would weigh in. I have been to Darby Creek Park twice this week and have seen at least a dozen Golden-Crowned Kinglets and Ruby-Crowned Kinglets. They are thriving there. It's the newer park, down further on Darby Creek Road. There have also been Towhees, Tufted Titmouse, Wood Duck, White-Crowned Sparrows, the usual woodpeckers and robins, cardinals, cowbirds, bluebirds, tree sparrows, and the like.

Also along Darby Creek Road going north toward Broad Street, where the new walking path is going in, there are little man-made ponds that are just full of waterfowl. I saw about a dozen Greater Yellowlegs tonight and just a few Lesser Yellowlegs. Last weekend there were about a half-dozen Snipe wading in the pond. There are lots of ducks: Green-Winged Teal, Lesser Scaup, Mallards, Blue-Winged Teal are just a few I can remember. It's been a great place for changing habitat this past couple of weeks. Might be a place to check out if you are looking for the early waders.

Verna Ansel
Galloway