From:
Bob Powell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bob Powell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 9 Apr 2009 21:48:48 -0400
Larry Gara and I spent about an hour with the Lesser Black-backed Gull Larry
discovered yesterday.  The bird was seen on and just off the beach in good
light.  The bird was reasonably approachable so that we were able to get
good views and passable photos.
The bird was in very nearly adult plumage.  It was intermediate in size
between the ring-bills and Herring Gulls that were conveniently lounging
close by.  The mantle was dark gray and very uniform.  The head was white,
not streaked or mottled at all.  The legs and feet were yellow.  The beak
was yellow with a dark smudge near the tip that was being supplanted by a
red gonydeal spot.  The secondaries were broadly tipped with white.  The
primaries were long and tipped with little lenses of white.  There was a
distinct white mirror near the end of P10.  When the bird took flight, we
saw that most of the rectrices were white but some rectrices with dark tips
were retained.

Back home, I consulted Howell & Dunn, "Gulls of the Americas," Olsen and
Larsson, "Gulls of North America, Europe, and Asia;" and Peter Pyle's new
Volume 2 of his "Identification Guide to North American Birds."  It is our
opinion that this bird is near the end of the third cycle, nearly into its
first definitive basic plumage.  It has all the necessary characteristics
except for some retained second cycle rectrices and the remaining black
smudge on the bill with an emerging red gonydeal spot.

Larry also had a Lesser Black-backed Gull at this location in 2002.  That
bird stayed around for months, so we are hopeful that this bird will do the
same.  I will post my pictures on my blog tomorrow morning.  The blog also
contains an interactive, scalable map of the area.  The URL is in my sig.

Cheers,

Bob

--
Robert D Powell