From:
Greg Spahr <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sun, 10 May 2009 17:15:03 -0400
Had a wonderful morning at Pike Lake State Park, which is in Pike
County near the town of Bandbridge.  There is a major outbreak of tent
catterpillars there, and all the birds are feasting on them.  I saw
Cerulean Warblers, Yellow Throated Vireos and several other species on
the ground picking up the catterpillars and carrying them off.  In
fact, I was never out of the audible range of singing Ceruleans the
entire morning, this spot is one of the best locations that I know of
to see Ceruleans.  A treat was being awakened first thing this morning
by a Gray Cheeked Thrush that was sitting on the roof of my cabin
singing!  Some of the birds seen this morning:

Cerulean Warbler
American Redstart
Northern Parula
Yellow Warbler
Yellow Throated Warbler
Cape May Warbler
Blackpoll Warbler
Tennesse Warbler
Magnolia Warbler
Red Eyed Vireo
Yelow Throated Vireo (many singing males all over)
Eastern Wood Peewee
Eastern Phoebe
Acadian Flycatcher
Eastern Kingbird
Spotted Sandpiper (on the dam)
Barn Swallow
Northern Rough Winged Swallow
Tree Swallow
Eastern Bluebird
Pileated Woodpecker
Northern Flicker
Red Bellied Woodpecker
Downy Woodpecker
Rose Breasted Grosbeak
Orchard Oriole
Baltimore Oriole
Swainson's Thrush
Wood Thrush
Gray Cheeked Thrush
Scarlet Tanager
And many more birds typical for this area (chippies, swifts, grackles,
starlings, cowbirds, Canada geese, etc)

Pike Lake is a trap for neotropical migrants this time of year, I
highly recommend it to my birdwatching friends in southern Ohio.  On a
good day in May, you can get upwards of 20 warbler species there in a
day.  I recommend simply parking at the park office, and walking up the
road toward the cabins.  That particular dead end road is a great place
to pick up many bird species.

Good Birding,

Greg Spahr
Fairborn, Ohio