From:
Nick Boutis <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Nick Boutis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 10 May 2009 23:12:31 -0400
Hi Folks,

Yesterday, we held the 3rd annual Make it Count for the Birds in Glen
Helen -- our big day/fundraiser.  Before I dig into the details, let me
start with a disclaimer: this is all unofficial.  I don't have reports yet
from a couple of the late afternoon/evening groups.  We may well be able
to add a bird or two to the final tally.

We had nine organized hikes/sits over the course of the day, and many,
many talented observers leading them.  High count for the hikes was our
5:30 am dawn chorus.  The dozen people who came out for this hike found 53
species in a quarter mile stretch of Grinnell Rd.  The Winds Cafe
contributed pecan and apricot scones to the effort, and we are looking
into whether the resulting feast qualifies as a world record
earliest-morning-gourmet tailgating-party.

Overall, it wasn't ideal conditions for a big day.  Weather in the morning
was grey with low cloud cover.  Most of the low clouds blew off by 10 or
11 am, but then it got windy.  Overall numbers were low, with a few
exceptions.  Baltimore orioles, great crested flycatchers and magnolia
warblers showed up on pretty much every hike, and in multiple habitat
types.  Yellow-throated vireo were common, even though we missed those
entirely last year.  Most of the warblers seen were found only once.  Luck
was a big factor today.

In all, we found a respectable 21 species of warblers, even though we
somehow missed yellow warbler.  Also, blue-winged and Black-throated blue
were found a few days ago, but not on the count.  Other prominent misses
were rose-breasted grosbeak and screech-owl, both of which have been
pretty easy to find on other occasions this spring.

Birds seen this year that were missed on prior big days include black
vulture, Canada warbler, wild turkey (on nest), and yellow-breasted chat.

Now, here is the (unofficial list) for the day.  We surpassed last year's
tally of 88 species.   When all is said and done, I expect that the big
day will have raised about $15,000 for trail maintenance and habitat
restoration in Glen Helen.
Great Blue Heron
Turkey Vulture
Black Vulture