From:
Joe Faulkner <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Joe Faulkner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 11 May 2009 21:39:27 -0400
Fellow birders,

      Now that the dust, or perhaps feathers, has cleared from all the bird
reports from the MacGee Marsh boardwalk , it's time for the BIRDERS report.

     The total number of birders on the boardwalk was probably down a bit
this year, compared to last year, when gridlock occurred several times.
None the less, there was still a serious flock of birders around.  I heard
one estimate of 7,000 and my estimate was 5,000.  Don't hesitate to suggest
your own estimate.

     However many there were, they were again virtually all white, with just
6 or 7 African Americans and not many more Asians. We need to get the Obamas
to go birding. I did talk to one Indian birder, now from Fox Chapel, Pa.  In
fact there was a sizeable "fallout" of Pittsburgh birders, who could be
identified only by their voice.

     Again,  the  Amish made up about 10% of all birders, as they have for
several years.  License plates  included California, Texas, Utah, Florida,
New York, New Jersey,  and all the midwestern states.  Many Obama bumper
stickers, one Palin ( on the Texas truck that also said "Save a Cow, Eat a
Vegetarian")

     Only one birder had a Ladder with him.  That would be Tom Bartlett,
doing his 14th or so Big Sit.  He had 94 the last time I checked.  Jim
McCormac was spotted, showing off the new Binoculars he received as a part
of his well deserved recent recogintion.  Boy Birder Ethan Kistler (who is
now a young man birder) was everywhere, leading groups and finding rare
birds, and lots of birds.   Also spotted Dan Sanders, Bill Heck, Paul
McSweeny, Doreene Linzell, Ben Warner, just to mention a few who post to
this listserve.  Add Jen Brumfield to that list.  Though not much bigger
than a warbler, she was also spotted.

     The newest observed birder behavior was the use of cell phones to
communicate the location of rare birds.  In fact, I thought the overall
cooperation level was way up this year.  It helped me get 27 warblers, and a
one day bird total of 104 species, and 123 for the trip to Lake Erie.   I'm
proud to be a member of such a weird group.

Joe in the Woods
    Somerset, Ohio
          Perry County