From:
Terry and Heli <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Terry and Heli <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 12 May 2009 19:48:49 -0400
I saw a pair of red headed woodpeckers using a hole in a tree in the
new Kopf Family Reservation
in Avon Lake. One bird was feeding the other from outside the nest
hole. The female emerged and the pair copulated.
Later I saw and heard them exchange pecking messages. This is one
heck of a nice park if you haven't even been there. Today was my
first time.
Lots of mature trees and more may apples than I have ever seen
anywhere around Cleveland. Last year I saw a territorial indigo bunting
singing from a tree next to the high school here but I had never
entered the park. I didn't even know it was there.

A passerby told me there are barred owls nesting there so I will
check on this soon. I think they must be the
birds that nested in my neighborhood last year. I also heard
Nashville and black throated green warblers.
A warbling vireo or two also.

This park is directly behind the library. Enter the trail from the
library paring lot.

The loon I worry is stranded is still on the pond along Walker Rd. I
hope it survives.
This seems like a heck of a long time for this bird to linger.

The other day I posted about a yard first for me. A pair of pine
siskins. I found one that had apparently been killed by a cat
the very next day beneath one of my feeders. Argggh!

Terry