From:
Heather Raymond <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 1 May 2009 06:01:55 -0700
As of yesterday around lunch time there was still a group of 38 (possibly more) golden plovers in the field/wetlands off of Veler Road, just east of Metzger Marsh (some in beautiful full breeding plumage).  There was also a small flock of pectoral sandpipers and a few snipe & yellowlegs. A scope is helpful (probably necessary to positively ID anything).  With all the rain, the Magee boardwalk was a tad slow: Magnolia (only 1), Northern waterthrush, Nashville, Common yellowthroat, Palm, and hundreds of Yellow-rumps; Red-eyed and Warbling vieo; Swainsons, Hermit & Wood thrushes; Eastern phoebe, and nice looks at green herons (probably forgetting something, sorry).  There were also some wood ducks WAY up in the trees (about 60 feet?) making a ruckus.  I think it's fun to observe ducks trying to hang out in trees.  At the beach trail I added B&W warbler, Baltimore oriole, and Eastern kingbird.  Probably would have seen more if the deluge had
 ceased and more birds were singing (seeing the mag. was pure luck).

Thanks to everyone for the Arizona advice!  I saw 67 life birds, over 100 new birds for the year, and almost 200 overall (my 2009 ABA list is around 400!).  Highlights include: blue mockingbird, rufous-capped and red-faced warblers, williamsons sapsucker, whiskered schreech owl, and a gorgeous pair of elegant trogans (and lots more local specialties).  Wonderful hiking trails & excellent birding- a highly recommended trip!

Before I left for AZ someone e-mailed me and asked for TX info- please e-mail me again & I will probide you with the places I visited and species observed (I think I accidentally deleted your last e-mail).

Good birding,
Heather