From:
Terry and Heli <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Terry and Heli <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 14 May 2009 19:20:37 -0400
I saw a turkey standing on the shoulder of the entrance ramp to I-90
east bound this morning.
This is a circular entrance ramp with a patch of woods in the center
so it might be worth a look again in the next day or two if you'd
like to try to see one.

I am fairly good at birding by ear. I have had a bird in my yard that
I don't recognize and this irritates me! The bird has the buzzy sound
like a black throated green
or black throated blue warbler but it is on one note and played to
the rhythm of a warbling vireo. I can't see the bird either up in my
oaks with the wind blowing like it has been.
Maybe it is a hoarse vireo. The white throated sparrows sound hoarse
in the fall.

Last night and this morning have been the best days of the spring for
birds so far. I have had so few the past few years and I used to be
saturated in migrants.
There were veery, Swainson's thrush, black throated blue, nashville,.
tennessee and black throated green warblers. One male grosbeak. The
first of the year here.
An ovenbird sang this morning from the back hedges,

Gone are the days of waking to a new warbler song almost every
morning in April and May. I once even had mourning warblers.
Sometimes days go by without a migrant.  I live close to the lake and
it used to be pretty good here,

Terry