Date:
Thu, 14 May 2009 19:26:10 EDT
This morning I began tracking the nesting activity of  the  Prothonotary
Warblers at the Hoover Nature Preserve. The females have arrived  and the
serious business of  selecting a mate and nest location  is  underway.  As I
locate and confirm that a pair are building a nest I enter  them into my log,
noting the nest box number or the GPS of the natural cavity to  enable me to
follow the progress of the pair. The water level and other  conditions at
the preserve are excellent and the potential for a productive year  is very
good. As always there are little nuisances that can’t be avoided. This  year
it will be the replacement of a bridge close to an area with multiple nest
sites in previous years. This decision by the Delaware County  Engineer is
quite necessary as the bridge at Area Q on Red Bank Road was built in 1954 as
 part of the original Hoover Reservoir development plan. The bridge is
showing  serious deterioration and its replacement is needed for the public’s
safety.

I made the right choice by carrying a poncho with me as the clouds opened
up while I was a fair distance from the car. As I stayed under the cover of
the  tree canopy the birds made the same decision. Along with Prothonotary
Warblers  (6 males and 3 females) I found myself eye level from Nashville,
Northern  Parula, Chestnut-sided, Magnolia, Yellow-rumped, Palm,
Black-and-white, American  Redstart and Canada Warblers. Other species that kept me
company included  Red-eyed and Warbling Vireos, Gray Catbirds and a Scarlet
Tanager.

Charlie Bombaci
Hoover Nature Preserve

**************Dell Mini Netbooks: Great deals starting at $299 after