From:
Hans Clebsch <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Hans Clebsch <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 14 May 2009 20:43:35 -0400
Today was a great birding day here in central Cleveland. I went out
to the Wade Oval pond at 11:15 a.m. between concerts here in
University Circle.

Previous days I had been seeing moderate numbers of birds. Today the
numbers were higher. A highlight was a female Prothonotary Warbler
slowly picking through a flowering crabapple. It spent twenty minutes
at eye level methodically working its way through a nicely pruned low
tree. Also there was the distinct call of a White-eyed Vireo. It was
moving actively towards the Cleveland Museum of Art. Rough-winged
Swallows were carrying nesting material. Ubiquitous Warbling Vireos,
Yellow Warblers were present as were Baltimore Orioles and Chestnut-
sided Warbler.

If you work or live near University Circle (i.e. Wade Pond to Doan
Brook) check it out. It can provide nice birding.

 From there I went to the Erie Street Cemetery. I expected numbers to
be good. The cemetery was at first nearly absent of warblers. There
were few birds present. Just before leaving around 2:30 p.m. I
spotted in a productive area near flowering shrubs Oven Bird, Wood
Thrush, Hooded Warbler both male and female (possibly two females,
the second had quite light markings). The Hooded was foraging below
the trees in the leaves. It would move with acrobatic skill. At one
point it was stationary with it's eyes closing. Maybe it just got in.

Best regards,

H.ans C.lebsch