Date:
Fri, 15 May 2009 16:20:47 EDT
This morning I checked Wiese Road and Area N of The Hoover  Nature Preserve
for nesting Prothonotary Warbler activity. At Wiese Road I  located 6
singing males. Of these , 4 had mates and they were collecting  material and
carrying it to a nest boxes or natural cavity. The males have  established
favorite perches that they make a circuit of to pronounce their  ownership and
territory boundaries. Other species that were active at Wiese Road  included
Eastern Kingbird, Great Crested Flycatcher, Baltimore Oriole, Orchard
Oriole, Yellow, Wilson’s, Magnolia , American Redstart, and Common Yellowthroat
Warblers.

While at Wiese Road I met two men studying how to shore up the  old roadbed
as there are plans to run a section of the Ohio to Erie Bike Trail  through
the preserve and along Wiese Road. Hopefully the development of the bike
trail through this area will not adversely affect the Prothonotary Warblers
nesting  there.

I next moved on to Area N to locate paired Prothonotary  Warblers and to
mark their territories to enable me to monitor them. From the  moment I opened
my car door by the entrance off Front Street in Galena I  constantly heard
the “Sweet, Sweet, Sweet, Sweet” call of the males. I located  territories
from the near vernal pool to the old bridge base at Big Walnut  Creek,
marking 15 that I observed the pair bringing nesting material to their  nest box
or natural cavity. I would have been easily able to mark additional
territories had I continued on with my intended purpose, however, having the  gift
for gab, I met several birders and two men taking pictures and commenced
talking instead of working. Both the individuals I was discussing the project
with and I were treated to a show as one pair has selected a nest box just
feet  off the trail. We watched them come and go from the nest box and the
male at his  favorite perch singing for all his worth. He later provided nice
poses from a  low log in front of us and his finally was to perch atop a
snag and belt out an  aria for us with a pose that would do any bird guide
great pride. Next trip I  hopefully will get past talking and onto surveying
the back forty which is a  large time consuming task with waders. It’s also
where the best activity  is.

Additional species observed from the old roadbed included the  Osprey at
the nest platform, an adult Bald Eagle doing a fly over, many  Double-crested
Cormorants, Red-headed Woodpeckers, Acadian and Great Crested  Flycatchers,
many Warbling and Red-eyed Vireos, Cliff, Bank and Northern  Rough-winged
Swallows, Swainson’s, Gray-checked and Wood Thrushes, Nashville,  Northern
Parula, Chestnut-sided, Magnolia, Yellow-rumped, Yellow-throated and  Palm
Warblers in addition to the Prothonotary Warblers, a couple of Scarlet  tanagers
and many Baltimore Orioles.

Charlie Bombaci
Hoover Nature  Preserve

Steps!