From:
Andrea Haslage <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Andrea Haslage <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 17 May 2009 09:38:05 -0400
Greetings!

The Slate Run Colored Juncos bird-a-thon team made up of park naturalists
and volunteers scoured Slate Run yesterday (Saturday) in search of as many
bird species we could find.  We found 92 species after birding for about 10
hours.  We've been a bird-a-thon team for 9 years now, and have found
anywhere from as low as 75 species on our day to as high as 105, so we fared
pretty well.  We bird only in Slate Run Metro Park, which is lucky enough to
have a wide variety of habitats, providing great birding!

Highlights included:
* 17 species of warbler (very vocal yellow-breasted chats and good looks at
many of them, and about 3-4 prairie warblers along the horse trail!)
* The regular flycatchers and thrushes
* A red-headed woodpecker in the wetland
* A nice variety (6 species) of sandpipers and plovers in the wetland, where
the water levels have been drawn down a bit
* A hen wild turkey along Duvall Road
* Grasshopper and Henslow's sparrows (as well as the regular sparrows) in
the grassland, and a possible Savannah sparrow as well.

Our success yesterday brought our 9 year cumulative bird-a-thon total to 156
species!  Thanks to the team members for another fun year.

See you at Slate Run!

Andrea Haslage
Hub Naturalist, Slate Run Metro Park