From:
Nancy Anderson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sun, 17 May 2009 19:08:11 -0700
This morning I decided to stay in Lakeside and look for birds instead of driving back to Magee Marsh.  Lakeside is on the Marblehead Peninsula just west of Marblehead.  The winds were strong from the northwest so I tried getting away from the lake and headed (with my husband) to the far southern part of Lakeside to "the top of the hill".  We ended up near the southern gate (western part of Lakeside) near the overflow parking lot near Rt 163 and walked east on the road and then followed the paths.  There is path just north of the fenceline separating Lakeside from the Campground area and you can follow it past the "train station, jigging and jogging all the way to the new Lakeside Wellness Park at the far eastern end of the field west of the clay tennis courts (above 7th street).  I have not normally seen so many warblers in Lakeside as it was very birdy today. This was only from 9 to 11am.  Here are a few of my highlights:

Least Flycatchers - several, Great-crested 1,
Red-eyed Vireos
Blue Jays - multiple dozens
Ruby-crowned Kinglets
Swainson's Thrush - many (especially in the Chapel in the Woods)
Warblers:
Tennessee - many singing
Northern Parula - 2
Yellow & Common Yellowthroats