Date:
Mon, 18 May 2009 18:11:01 EDT
This morning began with me sitting in the dentist chair. I don’t mind
dentist checkups except if they are scheduled during the spring migration. When
I got home a visiting friend who lives at Sanibel Island, Florida, asked to
see  a Prothonotary Warbler. She has seen Limpkins, but never a
Prothonotary Warbler.  We took her to Oxbow Road, the nearest part of my nest box trail
from our home,  and she got to watch three males in the sunlight only 10 to
40 feet from her.  While there we also viewed Yellow Warblers, Magnolia
Warblers, White-eyed  Vireos, Baltimore Orioles and a Green Heron. Not a bad
list for a 10 minute  visit to the area.

After lunch I got down to the serious business of locating   territorial
pairs of Prothonotary Warblers and finding their nest location. I  worked Area
L and along Little Walnut Creek and was able to locate 17 nest  sites, 12
in my nest boxes and 5 at natural cavities. I noted other species of
interest as I went along my route including Eastern Phoebe fledglings and a
Ruby-throated Hummingbird that buzzed me to investigated the orange marker  ribbons
 looped on my belt. When it couldn’t find an opening to this new strange
flower, it flew off seeking something more productive.

Birds observed included:
Green Heron
Wood Duck
Yellow-billed  Cuckoo