From:
"Spencer A. Ryan" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 21 May 2009 01:24:19 +0000
Sorry for the late post, but Harvey's loon update reminded me that I had some information to pass on about the Lorain County loon.  Monday I saw 4 golf course workers at the pond so I stopped.  They were taking down the monofilament fishing lines across the pond.  I then watched the loon move to the north side of the pond and make 2 attempts to take off.  Not sure if it was practicing or unable to lift off.  Both times it skimmed the surface 30 yards then flew low for 10 yards, then returned to the water.  The workers told me that was the first time they had seen it attempt to take off.  The workers seemed genuinely concerned about the loon, so that's positive.  I think if the loon is healthy, there is enough room for it to take off.  Keep your fingers crossed.

The loon's location is on Sweetbriar golf course in Avon Lake, Lorain County.  The lake is visible from Walker Road just to the East of John Christ Winery.

Spencer