From:
Bruce Glick <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bruce Glick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 20 May 2009 19:25:06 -0700
    The second annual Big Day was held in the Bobolink Area (12 counties around Wayne and Holmes) last Saturday. The 24 hour format was used and teams got together Monday evening for food and de-briefing/results.
     Although it wasn't a great day for migrants, the top team in the vehicle division hit 160 this year. The really big news though was in the biking division, where 2 teams of 3 young bikers had excellent days. The team from northern Holmes County had 153 species, while the Coshocton/Holmes team had 148. Both bettered the old record of 146 while biking 70-90 miles.
    No really rare birds were found - Olive-sided Flycatcher was voted best bird of the day. About 70 people sat around for 2-3 hours Monday night trading stories and planning how to do better next year. Teams are welcome from around the state. Robert Hershberger of Time and Optics, south of Mt. Hope, Ohio has taken responsibility for the Big Day - held on the third Saturday of May.
     We are curious if anyone knows of other biking big day records in Ohio or in the Midwest. If so, please contact me personally. Thanks!

 Bruce
Millersburg, Ohio