From:
"McCormac, Jim" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
McCormac, Jim
Date:
Fri, 22 May 2009 09:06:23 -0400
Hi all,

I just received a report from a reliable observer that a Scissor-tailed
Flycatcher was seen within the Crown City Wildlife Area, which straddles
the Gallia/Lawrence County line. The bird was seen last Wednesday, May
20th, and it was near the intersection of T-139A and T-213.

Crown City is about as backwoods as one can get in Ohio, but is always
worth the trip. It is without doubt the Blue Grosbeak capital of Ohio -
one year I had about 20 singing males there - and there are often
Dickcissels along with plenty of Henslow's Sparrows, Orchard Orioles,
Prairie Warblers, chats, and the whole laundry list of grassland,
shrubland and forest birds.

Scissor-tailed Flycatcher has made significant eastward expansions in
the last several decades, with isolated breeders turning up in Tennessee
and Kentucky for instance. If nesting were to occur in Ohio, it would
likely be in a massive reclaimed strip mine like Crown City, which
contains a diverse mosaic of brushland and open grassland.

Information about Crown City can be found here:
http://www.dnr.state.oh.us/Home/wild_resourcessubhomepage/WildlifeAreaMa
psLandingPage/tabid/19694/Default.aspx

And here:

http://www.ohiobirds.org/birdingsites/showsite.php?Site_ID=49

If you are looking for an-all day birding adventure in a place where you
are assured of seeing lots of interesting species - and maybe the
Scissor-tail - try Crown City. Let us know if you find it, and if I hear
any more, I'll pass the info along.

Jim McCormac

Jim McCormac

Ohio Division of Wildlife