Date:
Mon, 25 May 2009 13:53:38 EDT
I visited three areas within the Hoover Nature Preserve this morning to
monitor the Prothonotary Warbler nest boxes. At Mudhen Marsh I located 8 PROW
nest sites, 5 using natural cavities and 3 using the nest boxes. While
there I  also observed 2 Red-headed Woodpeckers and 4 Canada Warblers (all
females). The  area had many Indigo Buntings and a few Great Crested Flycatchers,
plus 1  Scarlet Tanager. Fairly quiet for this location.

I next checked out the boxes in the cove near the Eastshore Yacht Club. I
located 3 nest sites, 2 in nest boxes and 1 using a natural cavity. The
members  of the Eastshore Yacht Club were having a informal breakfast
get-together. These  nice people invited me to join them, but alas, with more boxes to
check I  behaved and continued making my rounds.

My final stop of the morning was at the Area M Boardwalk. I've installed
new nest boxes at this location in an attempt to bring more PROW's closer for
 people to enjoy. There were 6 singing males between the start of the
boardwalk  and the end, a distance of only 1,500 feet. Several were at the back
of the two small coves, but a couple were very close to the boardwalk. I met
Al  LaSala on the boardwalk and we watched as two new Osprey showed up
which got the  resident pair in an uproar. While the female remained on her nest
platform, the  resident male was asserting himself and trying to keep the
new pair from  investigating the second nest platform too close. It was like
watching a mini  version of the Battle of Britain.

Charlie Bombaci
Hoover Nature Preserve

Steps!
(http://pr.atwola.com/promoclk/100126575x1221823249x1201398664/aol?redir=http://www.freecreditreport.com/pm/default.aspx?sc=668072&hmpgID=62&bcd=May