From:
Kenn Kaufman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Kenn Kaufman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 29 May 2009 12:37:44 -0400
Today (Friday May 29) I spent most of the day at my desk -- toward the end
of May Madness, here in Migration Wonderland in n.w. Ohio, I'm so far behind
on work that it's ridiculous -- but I did get out for a couple of hours to
see what was happening with the migration. In just a couple of hours at
Magee Marsh Wildlife Area, split between the wildlife beach and the eastern
part of the boardwalk, I saw plenty of typical late-season migrants that don't
nest in this immediate area. Highlights were 2 Alder Flycatchers, 1
Philadelphia Vireo, at least 8 Swainson's Thrushes (including 4 singing), 1
Tennessee Warbler, 4 Magnolia Warblers, 1 Black-throated Blue Warbler, 2
Black-throated Green Warblers (including a singing male), 10 American
Redstarts (all females and young males), 1 Ovenbird, 2 Mourning Warblers, 3
Wilson's Warblers, and 4 Canada Warblers (including 2 singing males). The
local nesting warblers (Prothonotary, Yellow, Com Yellowthroat) put on a
good show also. I didn't go to the west end of the boardwalk so I don't know
what was seen there, but I know that at least one Connecticut Warbler was at
the BSBO banding station east of Magee Marsh.

Tomorrow (Saturday May 30) there will be a public bird-banding demonstration
at the Black Swamp Bird Observatory, just north of Rt. 2 at the entrance to
Magee Marsh, from 10 to 11:30 a.m. No guarantees on what birds might be
around, but at this late date in May there's a good chance that a few tricky
Empidonax flycatchers might show up to be examined.

Kenn Kaufman
Oak Harbor, OH