Date:
Sat, 30 May 2009 14:03:20 -0400
This morning began at Char Mar Ridge Preserve (Delaware County). Jackie & Tom Bain and I led a Morning Bird Walk program through the preserve. Migrants were totally AWOL but the resident species provided the visitors, most of whom were new birders, with a pleasant walk around the trail. A highlight was watching a Blue-gray Gnatcatcher on her nest. Some of the other birds which helped to make the walk enjoyable were Green Heron, Ruby-throated Hummingbird, Acadian Flycatcher, Great Crested Flycatcher, Red-eyed Vireo, Wood Thrush, Cedar Waxwing, and Indigo Bunting. With just 25 species it was a slow morning. We heard a Yellow-billed Cuckoo but it just teased us with its call.

After the walk Al LaSala and I went to Areas M/N of the Hoover Nature Preserve (Delaware County) to try to find a cuckoo for him. Between our trip to Black Hand Gorge State Preserve in Licking County yesterday and the walk this morning, Al has heard several cuckoos but they remain elusive for him. We got more of the same as we heard several cuckoos call but failed to locate them. We did establish the health of the Prothonotary Warbler population. Locating Prothonotaries was not a goal of this trip to the preserve but along the short route meandering through parts of Areas M and N there were 33 males singing on territory. Some seemed resentful that I was trying to pay attention for cuckoos instead of them and they practically flew into our faces to ensure we knew they were there. This is a problem I can live with.

Charlie Bombaci

Hoover Nature Preserve