From:
Chris Knoll <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Chris Knoll <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 1 May 2009 14:43:47 -0400
The birds seen at the Window on Wildlife and around the Black Swamp Bird
Observatory's property for April, 2009.

1.      Canada Goose - flybys.
2.      Trumpeter Swan - flybys.
3.      Great Blue Heron - flybys.
4.      Great Egret - 1 flyby.
5.      Green Heron - flyover with Oak Harbor scouts on the 24th.
6.      Turkey Vulture - migrating overhead.
7.      Bald Eagle - several soaring overhead.
8.      Sharp-shinned Hawk - several migrating.
9.      Cooper's Hawk - chasing birds at the feeders.
10.     Red-tailed Hawk - flybys.
11.     American Golden Plover - migrating overhead.
12.     Killdeer - migrating overhead.
13.     Greater Yellowlegs -   migrating overhead.
14.     Lesser Yellowlegs - migrating overhead.
15.     American Woodcock - trail behind the center.
16.     Bonaparte's Gull - flybys.
17.     Ring-billed Gull - flybys.
18.     Herring Gull - flybys.
19.     Mourning Dove - at feeders.
20.     Whip-poor-will - just across the street; seen and heard by scouts on
the 24th.
21.     Chimney Swift - flew right over the building.
22.     Yellow-bellied Sapsucker - near feeders on Red Cedar tree.

23.     Downy Woodpecker - at feeders.
24.     Eastern Phoebe - near feeders.
25.     Blue Jay - on the 26th, about 60 birds total at the feeders. Awesome
views; the kids loved it!
26.     Tree Swallow - flyovers.
27.     Black-capped Chickadee - at feeder.
28.     Tufted Titmouse - near feeders; first one of the year!! Rare for the
Magee Marsh property.
29.     Golden-crowned Kinglet - in the Red Cedar trees
30.     Ruby-crowned Kinglet - near the feeders.
31.     American Robin - flyovers.
32.     Brown Thrasher - in the shrubs by the building.
33.     European Starling - at the feeders.
34.     Yellow Warbler - several in the shrubs by the building.
35.     Pine Warbler   - 2 in the large willow tree.
36.     Scarlet Tanager - one female near the feeders.
37.     Eastern Towhee - at the feeders.
38.     American Tree Sparrow - at the feeders.
39.     Chipping Sparrow - at the feeders.
40.     Fox Sparrow - at the feeders.
41.     Song Sparrow - at the feeders.
42.     White-throated Sparrow - at the feeders.
43.     White-crowned Sparrow - at the feeders.
44.     Dark-eyed Junco - at the feeders.
45.     Northern Cardinal - at the feeders.
46.     Rose-breasted Grosbeak - at the feeders.
47.     Red-winged Blackbird - at the feeders.
48.     Eastern Meadowlark - trail behind the center.
49.     Common Grackle - at the feeders.
50.     Purple Finch - at the feeders.
51.     House Finch - at the feeders.
52.     Pine Siskin - at the feeders.
53.     American Goldfinch - at the feeders.
54.     House Sparrow - at the feeders.

The Black Swamp Bird Observatory (BSBO) for the month of May, we are open
everyday Monday - Sunday, 10:00 am - 6:00 pm. We have four pair of
binoculars and bird ID books at the window for your pleasure. So bring the
kids and enjoy the birds. Right now we have Rose-breasted Grosbeaks at the
feeders and the Magee Marsh boardwalk is full of birds.

See you on the birding trails and have a wonderful May everyone.

Christopher J. Knoll

Education Director

Black Swamp Bird Observatory

13551 West State Route 2

Oak Harbor, Ohio 43449

Phone: 419-898-4070

Fax: 419-898-1363

Visit us at:

www.bsbobird.org

www.ohioyoungbirders.org

We are the proud sponsor of the Ohio Young Birders Club.