From:
Lee Underschultz <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sun, 3 May 2009 21:57:32 -0400
Lee Underschultz
Firefly Hollow
Little Hocking, OH
Athens/Washington counties

Even with the questionable weather I was able to hit the trails for a total
of 7 hours this weekend. I had some nice finds. The most activity overall
was around the driveway and garden in the hollow. There I saw and/or heard:
Red-Eyed Vireo
Wood Thrush
Hooded Warbler
Carolina Wren (about 4-5 in one group)
Cerulean Warbler
American Redstart
Yellow-throated Warbler
Northern Cardinal
American Goldfinch
Tufted Titmouse
Carolina Chickadee
Eastern Bluebird (4 babies in the nestbox)
Ruby-throated Hummingbird
Song Sparrow
Chipping Sparrow
American Crow
Blue-winged Warbler
Blue-gray Gnatcatcher
Louisiana Waterthrush
Eastern Phoebe
Green Heron

Then I hit the trails on the Segway and found a couple of Ovenbirds
courting, an Eastern Towhee nest with 4 eggs. Altogether the birds I saw
different from in the hollow:
Ovenbird (LOTS!)
Eastern Towhee
Indigo Bunting
Turkey Vulture
Brown Thrasher
Red-bellied Woodpecker
Blue Jay
Baltimore Orioles (2 males together)
Brown-headed Cowbird
Red-Tailed Hawk (nest in clear view)
Evening Grosbeak (been in the same place for several days)
Scarlet Tanager (male and female)
Mourning Dove
Downy Woodpecker
Great Blue Heron (flying over)
Canada Geese (flying over)

I saw two birds that I couldn't identify. The first was a small bird that
looked much like a Junco for size & shape. But the color was unlike any I've
seen. It was white in the belly and throat with a cinnamon color wash over
the head and back. It was chipping at me but no song for identification. It
was on a multiflora rose bush in a meadow area that is punctuated with brush
and bordered by large hardwoods on two sides and pines on the other two
sides. It was also very close to a male indigo bunting so I'm wondering if
it was a female that had some sort of leucistic tendency.

The other bird landed in a tree by the creek this evening about 7:30 PM. So
I'm not sure if it was a migrant just coming through. It had a prominent
white eye ring and two white wing bars. It had a grayish head with olive
green back and a yellow on flanks and belly. Am I nuts or could this have
been a migrating Blue-headed Vireo?

One other bird seen at the feeder is a house finch. This may not be very
exciting to most of you but since the house finch eye disease outbreak they
have been absent from our feeders. This is the first sign of their return
here. The Pine Siskins seem to have moved on since I changed from black oil
sunflower seed to safflower seed.