From:
Nick Boutis <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Nick Boutis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 4 May 2009 16:41:19 -0400
Hi folks,

A cool, cloudy morning for yesterday's bird walk in the north section of
Glen Helen.  A quiet morning at first, but we ended up coming across a
couple mixed flocks of warblers on the Outdoor Education Center drive, and
getting nice views of hooded warbler and Louisiana waterthrush elsewhere.

I'll get to the list in a minute -- first I want to put in one last pitch
for Make it Count for the Birds -- our Glen Helen big day coming up on May
9th.  Last year we found 88 species in Glen Helen, and raised over $15,000
for land stewardship and habitat restoration projects.

We're counting on lots of folks coming out and helping find the birds of
Glen Helen this Saturday.  Here is the complete schedule of hikes and sits:

5:30 am: Dawn Chorus. We'll listen for owls and the first songbirds of the
day as the sun rises.Meet at Grinnell Mill: 3536 Bryan Park Rd.

8:00 am: Woodland Bird Walk. 5o or more bird species of bird species are
possible on this hike through the scenic north section of Glen Helen.Meet
at Trailside Museum: 505 Corry St.

9:00 am: Morning Big Sit. Don't feel like walking? Come find out how many
species can we spot from one 17-foot circle.Meet at Trailside Museum: 505
Corry St.

10:00 am: Pine Forest Walk. The forest may hold uncommon species like pine
warblers, and we'll check the bluebird boxes for these colorful
wonders.Meet at Horace Mann Meadow, off Bryan Park Rd, just south of the
entrance to John Bryan State Park.

11:00 am: Farm and Field Walk. The area around the Riding Centre is the
best place in the Glen to find swallows and other birds of open fields and
farmlands.Meet at the Riding Centre: 1117 East Hyde Rd.

12:00 pm: Lunchtime tally rally. Birders will share what they’ve found
(and what they’ve missed). Birders and sponsors can nosh on complementary
snacks and coffee.
Meet at Trailside Museum: 505 Corry St.

1:00 pm: The Homestead Walk. The sparsely visited area of the South Glen
is home to a recently restored wetland.
Meet at the far end of West Jacoby Rd. (Access from Rt. 68)

2:00 pm: Prairie and River Walk. We'll walk through the South Glen along
the Little Miami. Expect orioles, finches, swallows, warblers.
Meet at the Little Miami Bridge on Grinnell Rd.

3:00 pm: South Glen Wetlands: The slope wetlands and cattail marsh of the
South Glen are vastly different from the habitats in the North Glen. Who
knows what we'll find here!
Meet at the Greene County Boat Launch at the far end of East Jacoby Rd.
(Access from Clifton Rd.)

4:00 pm: Afternoon Big Sit. Don't feel like walking? Come find out how
many species can we spot from one 17-foot circle.
Meet at Covered Bridge Meadow, Grinnell Rd.

6:00 pm: Evening tally rally. Birders will share what they’ve found (and
what they’ve missed). Meet at Trailside Museum: 505 Corry St.

And now, the morning list:
Great blue heron
Turkey vulture
Wood duck