OHIO-BIRDS Archives

June 2009

Date:
Sat, 20 Jun 2009 00:58:19 -0400
Went to Glacier Ridge Metro Park today with my daughter. (kind if a Daddy/Daughter Day)  I didn't see the Sora, we were there in the morning and the evening but didn't see it once. :-(  Wife doesn't know it yet, but as part of a dinner date, we are going tomorrow to try again.

Did however get some great shots of the grasshopper sparrows and spotted sandpipers...and some cute little baby mallards.

While there I also saw:
A Female Flicker once or twice comming out of the grass near one of the big trees near the tower.
A male Blue Bird perched on one of the benches.  It looked as if they had a cavity nest in one of the big trees.
Plus both Tree and Barn Swallows an Purple Martins.
Field and Song Sparrows were also present.

While in Columbus, we also went to Pic. Ponds Metro Park and tried to find some Waxwings. No luck.
While there we also saw the Osprey, and the GBHs...Looks like the babies are starting to fish on their own.
A Pair of Pheasants were flushed by a black bird that made for some comical watching...Pheasants being chased by a RWBB. :-)
Not much else...it got too hot...Coldstone was calling.

Then went on up to Area M and N up at Hoover Resivoir. Water is back up to spring levels thanks to the rain.
Almost as many Skeeters as leaves on the trees.
Only one Prothonotary was willing to even show itself.  The rest were up in the trees somewhere.
Heard some Gnatcatchers scolding what looked to be a Titmouse.   I never saw the Gnatcatchers just the Titmouse coming out of a tree.

_______

As part of my overall goal to photograph every Species of bird that at can be found in Ohio at certain times of the year,
I set a goal of geting as many of the bigger shore/wading birds this year. I am looking to photograph some other types
of OHIO located Herons and Egrets.  I have GBHs, Green, Snowys, and Great Herons.
I need things like Bitterns, Cattle Egrets, and the rest.  Anybody have some good times of the year and places to find other species?

Thanks in advance.

Happy Birding and God Bless

Steve Jones
(a.k.a. sjlarue)
Blog: http://sjlarueslenses.blogspot.com/

Genesis 1.20

And God said, "Let the water teem with living creatures, and let birds fly above the earth across the expanse of the sky."