OHIO-BIRDS Archives

June 2009

Date:
Sat, 20 Jun 2009 20:14:45 -0400
Today Al LaSala and I headed north to do grassland birding with some wetland birding thrown in for good measure. Darlene Sillick was originally supposed to go with us, but she instead was being the “Saintly” lady that she is and agreed to present a program for the Big Brothers Big Sisters organization. Al and I started north to go to Big Island Wildlife Area in Marion County and as we were driving along Rome Corners Road we started our day with a Wild Turkey hen with her youngsters in tow. Hopefully a good omen. We birded at Big Island, then we were off to Killdeer Plains Wildlife Area in Wyandot County. A quick brown bag lunch and on to the grasslands along the county roads in Wyandot and Hardin Counties. My highlight of the day was probably a field with 60 plus Bobolinks in Hardin County . The same location also had over 30 Dickcissels, Vesper Sparrows, Savannah Sparrows, Grasshopper Sparrows, and Eastern Meadowlarks. We thought we heard one or two Henslow’s Sparrows calling but had no success in locating them. Too many birders skip grasslands as they think they are unproductive or don’t produce the “right” birds. Every time I see fields filled with these delightful sparrows, Dickcissels with their crisp call or Bobolinks as thick as flowers I know otherwise.

Here is a list of the species we saw, or if heard only indicated with an “H”. I’ve coded some of the areas as follows:

BI = Big Island Wildlife Area

KP = Killdeer
 Plains Wildlife Area

WC = secondary roads in Wyandot County

HC = secondary roads in Hardin County

DWA = Delaware Wildlife Area

AC = Alum Creek Reservoir

Pied-billed Grebe (KP Pond 3)

Great Blue Heron

Great Egret (HC)

Green Heron (DWA)

Turkey Vulture

Canada Goose

Trumpeter Swan (BI)

Wood Duck (KP Pond 3 with ducklings)

Mallard

Blue-winged Teal (HC)

Hooded Merganser (KP Pond 3)

Osprey (AC- two pair. Watch young being fed)

Bald Eagle (BI) (KP)

Red-tailed Hawk

American Kestrel

Wild Turkey (Rome Corners Road, Del Cty)

Sora (H - BI) - there were 3 calling near us but they stayed deep in the vegetation

Killdeer

Spotted Sandpiper (BI - obvious territorial behavior when we were near)

Rock Pigeon

Mourning Dove

Red-headed Woodpecker (KP)

Northern Flicker

Eastern Wood-Pewee

Eastern Kingbird

White-eyed Vireo (H - KP)

Blue Jay

American Crow

Horned Lark (all areas)

Tree Swallow

Northern Rough-legged Swallow

Bank Swallow

Cliff Swallow (bridge at US 23 and OH 37)

Barn Swallow

White-breasted Nuthatch (KP at nest)

House Wren

Marsh Wren (H - BI)

[...]

[...]