OHIO-BIRDS Archives

June 2009

Date:
Mon, 22 Jun 2009 15:57:07 -0400
This morning I made a repeat trip to?property in Porter Township, Delaware County?for the OBBA. The day began with comfortable temperatures and low humidity. Then in a flash the temperature and humidity shot up and made it much less enjoyable to be trekking around. The humidity make my notepad dank, soft and writing in it became a problem. When I was soaked with sweat I decided that enough was enough and headed for shade and?water.

This site impressed me on my first OBBA visit and although I recorded fewer species today I am still impressed by the magnitude of variety for both birds and other fauna and flora. The Brown Creepers I discovered building a nest beneath the loose bark on my last visit appear to be on nest incubating. Two pairs of Red-headed Woodpeckers are making constant runs back and forth to the nest cavities to feed their brood who must be very close to fledging. The Pileated Woodpeckers have fledge their brood from the nest but not from seeking free handouts. I watched a Wild Turkey hen with her young in tow. There were seven of them and they are still fairly small. On June 5th I watched a pair of Rose-breasted Grosbeaks constructing their nest and now the female is sitting on the nest and the male, while staying nearby is much quieter than before. The Barred Owl is still perching in the tree I spotted it in before, but the owlet is now just about as big as the adult. I located the gener
 al area of two pairs of Cerulean Warblers although spotting the nest for this species would take a lot of luck, more than I had today. For those worrying about where the Ruby-throated Hummingbirds are, I watch 8 to 10 buzz the landowners feeders and he informed me that in the evening he has seen over 20 at his feeders.

After I finished up at this location and was headed for home I made a brief stop along Big Walnut Creek for the resident Yellow-throated Warblers, Louisiana Waterthrush and Northern Parula. Then as I passed grassy fields I spotted a Bobolink perched on a Teasel stalk.

The list of species observed included:

Wood Duck hens with ducklings

Wild Turkey hen with chicks

Great Blue Heron (flyover)

Turkey Vulture

Red-shouldered Hawk

Red-tailed Hawk

Mourning Dove

Barred Owl and very big owlet

Ruby-throated Hummingbird

Red-headed Woodpeckers, 2 pairs feeding young at nest hole

Red-bellied Woodpecker

Downy Woodpecker

Hairy Woodpecker

Northern Flicker