OHIO-BIRDS Archives

June 2009

From:
Brad Bolton <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Brad Bolton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 23 Jun 2009 23:48:37 -0400
A few years ago, I noticed about triple the hummers at my feeders.  I
posted a note to the group about my observation and asked for input from
others about what they were seeing at their feeders.  After many, many
localized, i.e., some folks noticed increased feeder visits while others
noticed decreased visits.  I could see no geographic pattern in the
reports - increases and decreases in feeder activity were scattered
around the state.  I've noticed the same pattern (or lack thereof) in
the recent reports of hummer feeder activity.  I'm not discounting the
possibility of increased wild hummer food availability, which one person
mentioned for this year, and could decrease hummers at feeders.  I have
no idea as to the cause, but the random increase and decrease of hummers
at feeders seems to be occurring this year as it did a few years back.

Brad Bolton, Kent OH