OHIO-BIRDS Archives

June 2009

From:
Karen Morgan <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Karen Morgan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 26 Jun 2009 17:47:02 -0400
I enjoyed reading Margaret Bowman's comments on working her blocks in Licking/Knox Counties. I
too have learned a lot just from being out there observing. I watched in amazement as a pair of
kingbirds harassed a red-tailed hawk with one of the pair actually attaching itself to the hawk's back
while in flight, apparently to do as much damage as a kingbird could do to a hawk. Boy, those guys
sure live up to their Tyrannus tyrannus nomenclature! On a birding/biking note, I was on the Maple
Highlands Trail the 20th and the 23rd and saw some young owls in the same location- perched in
trees adjacent to the trail near a pond/wetland area just west of State Rte. 608. It was dusk both
times I was there. The youngsters were hissing both times and the 2nd time they were also clicking
their beaks. They've got well-developed flight feathers but still look downy about the heads. Tuesday
when my husband and I were on the trail, there were four young'uns all perched in one tree looking
like they were waiting for the diner to open up. At one point an adult flew in and was mobbed by two
of the young (this is before they were all perched in the same tree). The only disappointing thing to
me, though, is that I can't code them as FY for OBBA2 due to the development of their feathers and
their proximity to the edge of that block!