OHIO-BIRDS Archives

June 2009

Date:
Thu, 4 Jun 2009 18:51:56 -0700
I spent most of today surveying several OBBA2 priority blocks with little/no coverage in Ashtabula Co.  Less common species in healthy numbers included Am. kestrel, red-shouldered hawk, e. wood-pewee, willow flycatcher, e. kingbird, yellow-throated vireo, veery, cerulean warbler, Am. redstart, scarlet tanager, bobolink, e. meadowlark, and purple finch.  Austinburg Twp. had wild turkeys and a pair of killdeer w/3 young.  In block 33C5SE (S Lenox Twp/N New Lyme Twp.) were Cooper's hawk, pileated woodpecker, least flycatcher, e. bluebirds, chestnut-sided warbler, and ovenbird.  Orwell Twp. was very good with Acadian flycatcher, alder flycatcher, white-eyed vireo, nesting purple martins, and swamp sparrow.  Orwell Marsh held a male blue-winged teal, hen wood duck w/10 young, 2 semipalmated plovers (late migrants), and spotted sandpipers.  I took a quick look at Conneaut harbor, it was pretty dead but did have bald eagle, marsh wren, and brown
 thrasher.  In northern Trumbull Co. I saw another Am kestrel and more nesting purple martins.  Last stop was at Shenango WA in Trumbull Co., highlights there were green heron, bald eagle, ruby-throated hummingbird, pileated woodpecker, great crested flycatcher, blue-gray gnatcatcher, cerulean warbler, prothonotary warbler, and a female Canada warbler (a late migrant).  Later, Craig