OHIO-BIRDS Archives

June 2009

Date:
Mon, 29 Jun 2009 17:34:38 -0400
I spent today roaming around Trenton Township in Delaware County covering a block for the OBBA that had no time or effort previously applied to it. This turned out to be a good decision as I found that farm country can be fun. The terrain was mostly flat, but here were some rolling hills and streams to break up the crop land. The farmers practice crop rotation with fallow fields intermixed with those with crops. This leaves habitat for grassland species. The area also had numerous small blocks of forested land and streams, although both were not significant. The local residents showed their hospitality as six times I had someone stop to ask if I was having car trouble and needed assistance while I parked off the road to scan the fields.

The best finds of the day were Bobolinks and Dickcissels. I knew there was a chance to find them but I expected them to be long shots. Additional grassland birds I found included Grasshopper Sparrow, Eastern Meadowlark, Ring-necked Pheasant, Wild Turkey, Killdeer, Horned Larks, Common Yellowthroat, and Yellow-breasted Chat.

The young Killdeer haven’t got the gist of why mom does her fake broken wing act. While she was doing an act worthy of an Oscar, the young who are getting fairly good sized, stood in the middle of the road and stared at her and my car. They finally meandered off the road and into the grass.

At one point I thought I had a Red-shouldered Hawk in a wooded area. The sound got closer and out came a Blue Jay doing a20great hawk call.

All day I didn’t see a single Great Blue Heron or Carolina Wren, and I couldn't’t find a Mallard, even a domesticated one in someone’s farm pond. I would like to check out the wooded areas so If I get back into the block I’ll get to meet some landowners. Not the first area one would go to bird, but I got over 50 species and gave coverage to a block that has been neglected in the OBBA.
Charlie Bombaci