OHIO-BIRDS Archives

June 2009

From:
"Witter, Jim" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Witter, Jim
Date:
Fri, 5 Jun 2009 15:06:03 -0400
Hello everybody,

After reading these anecdotes and observing predation events in the
past, I was wondering if anyone had an idea as to why animals will
consume non-traditional/unusual prey items during late spring/early
summer. Birds are obviously not a common prey item for chipmunks, deer,
grackles, etc, so why does it seem that they are more like to take these
items at this time of the year? Is it because they might feed more
protein-rich items to their young, or maybe because they are simply
exploiting a food source that is more easily taken during this time of
the year? Let me know if you folks have some knowledge about this
subject. Thank you.

Jim Witter

Seasonal naturalist

Magee Marsh Wildlife Area